Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Support Us

BFV Server Fund

Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $41.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $0.00
 0%

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F1 2011 First Impressions  (Read 4835 times)
rip|ChITty
Clan Members
User

Respect: 45

Awards
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:42:24 AM »

So far I've done a bunch of practice, 1 single lap non-career race, and 1 full career weekend 50% distance.

I'm racing with all assists off, 0 flashbacks, and Professional AI.

Game/System
- Crossfire doesn't work, just like in F1 2010
- I was getting the codemasters' video sutter at random times.  I had to create a symbolic link to another hard drive for the replay file.  Cleared that issue right up

Wheel/Forcefeedback
- I took me awhile but I got the wheel feeling pretty well tuned.
- The advanced setting sliders for the wheel are totally different than the dirt/grid sliders.  - I'm 5% dead zone on the wheel, 20% steering sensitivity, 20% linear, 0% everything else.

The career race
- I think AI qualification times are still fudged
- I REALLY enjoyed the career race, way more than I enjoyed any F1 2010 race. 
- I'm Force India, qualied 12th, finished 6th.  Had some great fights Rosberg throughout the 2nd half of the race.  I did a two stopper after starting on primes, used those for 11 laps, switched to options for 7 laps, and switched back to primes for the final 11 laps.
- I definitely felt the effect of the different tires, the tire wear throughout the stint, and the effect of fuel burning off.

There's a ton to manage in the race. 
- DRS - In the race the DRS will beep when you can use it.  I used it maybe 3 times.  Open it too early at the end of a corner and your ass end will break loose.
- FUEL - You can change your fuel mix throughout the race, in one of the information displays it gives you the number of laps your under or over for fuel.  During the career race I set it to rich and left it there too long.  For the last 3rd of the race I had to set it to lean to make back the fuel.
- TIRES - I was keeping an eye on their wear throughout the stint.
- KERS - It's a fun thing to manage per lap.  Get on it too early out of a corner and you'll break traction on the tires.

Presentation
A lot better, it feels more alive.  Go off track for a bit and the screen bounces pretty hard.  At one point I saw a group of birds fly over the track.  Tire tracks in the grass remain there.  The cars sound a lot better than F1 2010 and even the shift sound is very satisfying given how much you hear it.  When you open DRS you can hear a wind sound and a clunk when it opens and closes.  The cars also seem to move more realistically during corners.

Car handling realism
I'm not an F1 racer, as you may know, but it seems more realistic.  I was losing the rear end until I played with the rear wing.  Tires are cold out of the pits and it's easy to lock up the tires.  Doesn't have that auto spin correction that the last version had.

3+ Years' Service Prodigious Poster Légion du Pantalon Nu D'âne Racing Licence Recruiter Ribbon rip|member

WAR GP Stats:
Wins: 17
Starts: 54
Fast laps: 21
Poles: 15
Career WAR GP Race Wins
GP3-R8 - Le Mans
GP4-R3 - Nurburgring
GP4-R4 - Istanbul
GP4-R6 - Circuito de Milano
GP5-R3 - Singapore
GP5-R5 - Zandvoort
GP6-R6 - MoTeC Mile
GP6-R7 - Oulton Park
GP7-R1 - Albert Park
GP7-R3 - Le Mas Du Clos
GP7-R10 - Donington Park
GP7-R11 - Road America
GP7-R12 - Suzuka
GP8-R4 - Machwerk 1967
GP8-R6 - Sepang
GP8-R7 - Singapore
GP8-R12 - Suzuka
rip|buzinator
Administrator
User

Respect: 46

ripclanbuz
WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »

thx for the write up.

I did a few time attack laps with full driver aids, messing with my kers and drs buttons, boy they keep you busy. I suppose after a while it will become 2nd nature.

I then turned all the assists off and failed to even turn half a lap. holy fucking shit. The engine revs out SO rapidly. Currently too fast for my gear changing to keep up with. My brain seems to be completely out of touch with racing games right now, unable to get into that real-time pay-attention mode.

I definitely have to mess with the control settings, steering & accelerator particularly. It's like if I just think about the right pedal the rears instantly light up.

It's gonna be a rough road back.

rip|Council 11+ Years Service LAN Partier Recruiting Legend Racing Licence BF2142 Service Ribbon Scrimmed Prodigious Poster BFV Service Ribbon Scrim Arranger BF2 Service Ribbon BF1942 Service Ribbon Légion du Pantalon Nu D'âne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

US Eastern

TinyPortal 1.0 RC1.1 | © 2005-2010 BlocWeb